Wednesday, July 11, 2012

IKEA vs. Type

Today I read (and learned),

That in August 2009, IKEA changed their font from Futura to Verdana. It caused what is known a "fontroversy" to not only those that are our fellow type-geeks but also to the norms "consumers" they noticed the difference from signs, magazines, labels, etc. -- everything! While IKEA grew quite the popularity from the odd change they're intent was simply not for that reason. Verdana at its time was becoming a well known font, so much so that it became a non-font (a font that is so used it hardly registers in the mind what font it actually is, kind of like Times New Roman) which is why it was so effective and why it was chosen. 





I, of course, am a little biased towards this because I favor thin fonts over wide ones (this could be my constant use of Century Gothic over the passed year [no choice, lol]) Nonetheless, bravo IKEA for moving forward with the digital age!

But anyways, thought I'd sum up and share my read for the day! 

Source: Just My Type; Simon Garfield 
Other Sources: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1919127,00.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment